Re: [OM] Good auroral activity over the next 24 hours

Subject: Re: [OM] Good auroral activity over the next 24 hours
From: zuikosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:12:18 -0400
Cc: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Dear Garth -

Sounds like a good plan !  I remember that in my Canadian Woodsman days; I
tried a similar experiment -  I was using a fine slide film
called GAF 500 which had an ISO speed rating of 500.  I used to develop it with
the UniColor E4 process, which involved a re-exposure
to light before the 2nd (color) developer.  Also, the actor Henry Fonda used to
do T.V. Commercials for it, and he had the most unique
way of pronouncing the letters, "G.A.F.!".  I really cannot describe it but I
am sure many a list member must have this "memory-trace" recorded in somewhere
in their cortices but I digress.

The point that I want to make is that this auroral light is very faint, indeed,
one's retinas must be thoroughly dark adapted before one can perceive it.  Even
my little range finder at f1.2 on a tripod
with GAF 500 speed color film did not record it, although I was often
making mistakes like checking for tension with the rewind knob, etc.

Oh how I wish for those times long past, staring up into October night sky's
magenta curtains of the aurora borealis, that seemed to stretch off to
eternity.

Oh Garth! if you get some purple ones then please let me see 'em!

-- Hank

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Sweet!
There's been heavy solar flare activity for the last couple of days, and some
of the slower high-energy particles are just impacting Earth's upper ionosphere
now.  Check out the aurora forecasts for the Northern Hemisphere at the NOAA's
website:

   http://www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

Look at all the 1 to 10 erg energy distributions!  Looks like North America's
in for a lightshow starting sometime after midnight Mountain Daylight Time.

I'm gonna be 50 klicks east of Edmonton (nice and *dark*) around 3:00 A.M. with
a Zuiko 21/2.0 at about 4.0 (try to reduce any coma), some Velvia, a tripod,
cable release and the trusty OM-1n.  I'll try out various shutter times and see
what I get!

Garth