Re: [OM] Example of Model release - a bit off topic

Subject: Re: [OM] Example of Model release - a bit off topic
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:35:07 -0500
Walt, I agree with you.  I have always understood exactly the same thing,
which is why I submitted a 'people shot' to the latest TOPE and didn't get a
model release. I liked the shot and think I am ok.

I would, however, heed the advice on the list and be careful about posting
pictures of children.  It might be ok by the rules, but we live it a sad
world.

Tom

<snip>
> As I have always understood, anybody in a public place is fair
> game and no model release is needed unless the photograph is going
> to be used for commercial purposes.  If I snap a shot of a wide
> body waddling across the parking lot at the mall, I can make 11x14
> prints, show them to my co-workers and friends, enter one in a
> TOPE event, pretty much do anything with this image that I don't
> get paid for.  But if I sell the shot to an advertising agency and
> it's used in a Slim-Fast ad, I would have to have a model release.
<snip>