Re: [OM] [OT] Financial condition of Polaroid

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Financial condition of Polaroid
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:21:01 -0700
I hope I luck out with re to the SCSI card. Mine should arrive tomorrow morning and I want to be able to hook it up and just go with it.

(knockonwood)

Tris

I love my SS4000 that I got about 3 weeks ago. I use both Silverfast and Vuescan with it, both of which work great. If you don't have a modern 4000 dpi scanner, run-don't-walk and nab this super deal. Even if the rebate doesn't materialize, it's still a good deal, although not super.

The filmstrip holder, 35mm slide holder, SCSI card, Insight software, and Silverfast all come with the unit. I've heard that the Polaroid's inventory of SCSI cards has run out; so you may not get one in a unit coming out of current stocks.

The only complaint that I have is that it takes a while to get a preview scan since the scanner does some sort of internal calibration for every frame. That makes the total scan time per frame something like 45 seconds. If you fix the exposure, color mask, and white/black points in Vuescan for repetative scanning, I can get subsequent frames down quite a bit. I was just spoiled with my HP Photosmart, which could whip up thumbnails of a filmstrip very quickly.

As with all the filmstrip holders, this one is a bit finiky, but its really not that bad. I really do need another one, as Tom mentions.

Skip