[OM] OM-2Sp flash LED question

Subject: [OM] OM-2Sp flash LED question
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:02:43 -0600
 It's green, in case that makes any difference -- anyway, I just acquired a
T20 flash, so I was playing with it to get an idea of the range.
Everything's fine there -- but the problem is that the other flash I have
was obviously never quite doing what I want.

 Here's what I see:

 T20, f1.4, TTL control, pointing at wall about 2m away. Flash light comes
on, I take the shot, the green LED flickers to tell me it exposed properly.
Flash recharges fast, because it didn't need much light.

 T20, f1.4, TTL, pointing at wall about 5m away. Same as above, but flash
takes longer to recharge.

 T20, f1.4, TTL, pointing at light; no flash, because it's bright enough
already.

 T20, _f16_, TTL, pointing at wall 5m away -- "UNDER" lights in display,
flash takes full time to recharge. Fair enough, lens is stopped down too
much.

 All that makes sense and is what I'd expect. Here's the weird thing --
using a 3rd party flash, it seems to all work, _except_ that the green
'flash okay' light doesn't light up. Flash is a Miranda "650 OM-dedicated":

 650OM, f1.4, TTL control, wall about 2m away. Flash light comes on, shoot,
LED just goes out. The weird thing is that the flash recharges fast, which
suggests that the camera's telling it how long to fire for; it's not giving
a full dump.

 650OM, f1.4, TTL, wall about 5m away -- same as before, but flash takes
longer to recharge.

 650OM, f16, TTL, wall 5m away -- 'UNDER' comes on in display.

 The _really_ weird thing is that if I point at a wall that's just the right
distance away, using the Miranda flash, the green LED _will_ flicker. It
just only does it under certain precise conditions.

 Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? It appears that both
flashes work fine (shots taken with the Miranda come out okay, not over or
under exposed), but for some reason, the green 'flash exposed properly'
flicker doesn't happen, sometimes, with the Miranda flash.  This isn't a big
deal, I guess, but it's a bit disconcerting to have to guess if I got the
shot okay, especially when it does sometimes tell me what's going on.

 thanks,

 -- dan