Re: [OM] Photodo Tests

Subject: Re: [OM] Photodo Tests
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:01:19 -0400
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 23:38:00 +0800 "Clemente Colayco"
<litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hi Folks
>
> I would like to think that the numbers do not tell the whole story,
> but what gives?
>
> Even Tamron scores a few very high marks above 4 out of a perfect
> score of 5.
>
> Tell me, are we imagining?

No, we're not imagining. And, no, the numbers don't tell the whole story.
The Photodo "ratings" are a number based on a lenses MTF performance at
infinity at f4 and f8. First of all, how many pics do you take at
infinity at f4 or f8? They also only test a single sample of each lens.
Tests at infinity for a macro lens probably aren't very relevant, either.

Having said that, there is a lot of useful information contained in the
tests. The "rating" just isn't one of them. From looking at some of the
Zuiko tests compared to other manufacturer's, one thing I noticed is that
the Zuikos tend to do better wide open, and in general are more
consistent in performance across the range of f-stops.

You have to also keep in mind that the newest Zuiko design was released 6
years ago, so is probably closing in on 10 years old. There's no question
that optical technology has advanced significantly in that time In
particular I think you see this in the newer zooms and long teles using
exotic glass. Also the greater use of aspherical elements. Olympus is
definitely in the fray with all this, just that they are applying the
technology
 in areas other than for our beloved OMs. I still wish they'd have
released that 85/1.4 GRIN lens though :-)

Bottom line is - the results speak for themselves. If anyone has any
doubt about what our OMs and Zuikos can do, I just point them to the
Unofficial Gallery, ADITLs, and TOPEs (and tell them to ignore my stuff!)

Paul Schings