Re: [OM] [OT] Was Photo size, now: DSL access prices in Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Was Photo size, now: DSL access prices in Canada
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 22:28:13 -0300
On 10/1/01 10:13 PM, "Garth Wood" <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In most places in Canada, DSL goes for around $34.95 - $39.95
> CDN/month.  That's about $22.20 - $25.30/month U.S., for always-on,
> all-you-can-eat DSL.  God, I love living in the most-wired province in
> Canada (Alberta)!  As an added bonus, you can also set up a server on your
> DSL node.  That's right, unlimited 2Mb/sec server access to the 'Net for
> around $25.00 U.S. per month.  "Please sir, I want more!"

It may be a bit out of date, but a few years ago Nova Scotia (my home
province) was the most wired province in Canada. I think a lot depends on
how you calculate it. Nova Scotia had the most total bandwidth if I remember
correctly. New Brunswick had most bandwidth per capita for awhile too.

Anyways, around here I can get DSL or Cable for $39.95/month. Cable (which
I'm on now) gives me 5mb/sec down 1mb/sec up, while DSL gives 3.5mb/sec down
and 1mb/sec up. Unlimited access for both. Also, and this is a biggie for
some areas of the states, no install fee and the equipment is included in
that price (don't have to purchase or rent any equipment at an extra cost).
Also, both services are provided through the one provider, it's not like
some areas in the states where you buy the line from one company and have to
pay another company for the internet access, it's all included in that
price.

> As for being cold, well, this weekend in Edmonton (less than 1,800 km from
> the Arctic Circle) it was sunny and +24 Celsius (about 75 degrees
> Fahrenheit) in my backyard.  Barbecued all weekend.  Oh yeah, almost forgot
> -- we never get hurricanes that can cause ten billion dollars worth of
> damage, either.  8^>

Well, living in Halifax, I'm almost perfectly at the 45th parallel, meaning
we get 4 equal length seasons here. The climate is just about the same as in
Boston.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx