Re: [OM] (OT) Photo Editing for Dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Photo Editing for Dummies
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:59:16 +1000
>Hi everyone. I just got back 6 rolls of film on photo
>CD from Ritz and want to put them up on the web for
>display. The problem is that they are <1mb JPEG files.
>I was wondering how you compress these images to 100
>kb or so files for display, and which program I could
>best do this in. I have the following programs. M$
>Picture It Express (Came with CD) Adobe Photoshop 5.5
>(Admittedly bootlegged, not that its ever done me any
>good as I have no clue how to actually do anything on
>it, and $600+ for a beefed up version of paint is not
>the way I'd like to spend my money :), Paint and all
>the standard M$ stuff. I just want to compress the
>image size to a manageable web level remeber. Thanks
>in advance for the responses. Plz no flames for the
>Photoshop thing either, I've never used it I don't
>know how.
>
>Mark Lloyd

Photoshop 5.5 - I use a Mac but I think it's the same routine. Help menu
(far right) bottom item 'Resize Image' and it walks you through. Select
'Online' instead of print in the first window. That optimises for monitor
display and reduces size. At 450 pxels wide (second screen) the size drops
to 65k on the Mac (thats the minimum size allocation, so it's actually
smaller). You end with a separate image called 'Resize Assistant.' When you
save, you're asked to nominate the quality setting. If you select around
600 pixels wide and a quality setting of 6-7, you should be around the
80-100k.
AndrewF