[OM] Re: filmscanners: Re: Emulsion flaws (was dust in SS4000)

Subject: [OM] Re: filmscanners: Re: Emulsion flaws (was dust in SS4000)
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 02:05:20 -0400
Dear Roger

I find this all very puzzling. I'd suspect your water if it hadn't
been "double distilled."

My ignorant guesses (I'm no chemist) are:
    - some active interaction between bits of solution left on the film
    when it is put in another bath.
    Perhaps you could eliminate or reduce it by rinsing the film in
    distilled water in between solutions
    - incomplete mixing of dry chemicals
    - contamination by dust or other chemicals, especially particulate
    matter.
    Are you keeping it in glass or stainless steel containers rather than
    plastic?
    Do you use distilled water for everything, including washing?
    Do you finish up by washing your tank & reel in distilled water?
    Do you dry with a towel that might shed dust or chemicals? (Air dry
    only, upside down, with the reel in the tank to avoid dust settling
    on it.)
    Do you have a dusty environment? Some dust is chemically active.
    Do you mix chemicals far away in another room? (dust/spray travels)
    - excess surface tension of wash water, leaving drops/bubbles that
    dry.
    Are you using photo-flo or some other water-wetter in your final
    wash?
    Do you dry slowly, without heat or drafts, in a non-dusty place?

Are both surfaces affected?

I would contact Fuji & Kodak technical departments, if you can get
thru the maze.  Does anyone have an email address within these
hierarchies?

The differences in the films may be due to different "stickinesses"
of the surfaces.

Tom

On Saturday, September 22, 2001 at 16:44, Roger Smith
<filmscanners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "filmscanners: Re: Emulsion flaws (was dust in SS4," saying..

>       Another interesting take on the "emulsion bubble" phenomenon.
---------------  Abacurial Information Management Consultants
Tom A. Trottier, President ICQ:57647974  http://abacurial.com
        415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7S7
        +1 613 291-1168 fax:594-5412  N45.417 W75.705
(after 2001 Oct 14) 758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115  N45.412 W75.714
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin F
ranklin