Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak Gold vs Royal Gold

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak Gold vs Royal Gold
From: Acer V <waltherppk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 22:13:14 -0700
9/22/01 7:46:29 PM, "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Isn't Portra Slide film though? I want print film as
>I've never shot slides, don't own a slide projector,
>and have no real interest in slide film.
>
>Mark Lloyd

no no, both porta and NPx are pro print emulsions. the low contrast natural
colour films used in weddings and other formal occasions. the
rundown:

Kodak Portra line:
160, 400, 800 speeds. NC (Natural colour) and VC (Vivid colour) versions in all
speeds, also Portra400BW, a chromogenic film (b/w, can be
done in colour chemistry.

Fuji line:
NPS (160 speed, natural colour)
NPC (160 vivid colour)
NPL (160 speed tungsten)
NPH (400 natural colour)
NHGII (800 natural colour)

all aforementioned films are for "short exposure", meaning under 1/8 second,
BUT can be used for longer times with the compensation of about
2/3 a stop or so for anything over a second (exact comp. values printed on
inside of film box or website). the 160 speeds do well at 125EI, the
400 ones at 320. remember, w print film, ALWAYS err on the side of overexposure
(more time) or it will be grainy and muddy. the 160s are very
fine grained, the 400s are fine grained, the the 800s are more of a last ditch
effort for low light/long flash reach, but still fare well up to 5x7 size
with no visible grain (NHG anyway). hope this helps. take a look John Lind's
shots taken at night on Portra:

http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om39.html
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om46.html
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om45.html
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om43.html
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om42.html
http://johnlind.tripod.com/oly/gallery/om44.html

i think those about cover the night shots. and i just copied the URLs from the
thumbs, but i'm fairly sure most are on portra of some sort or the
other. remember, take lots of shots, err on the side of overexposure, and have
FUN! oh yea show us the results ;)

/Acer  V
--
dum spiro, spero