Re: (Fwd) Re: [OM] F280 multi flash use

Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: [OM] F280 multi flash use
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:06:49 -0400
At 11:45 PM +0000 9/22/01, Giles wrote:

From: "W.Xato" <xato0@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [OM] F280 multi flash use
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx In-Reply-To: <3BABDD32.8203.1B94F6B@localhost>

Maybe the persistence of the individual flashes overlap so that there
aren't discrete flashes. So you get smeared bullets.

Warren

Nuh-uh. Strobes don't really work that way (because the ionization
that allows the discharge and the light has to die down before you
can fire again, unless you have very fancy electronics -- as an
ex-physics type I can see how you would do that but it would be a
terrible mistake to try and make work in a small package in the field).
A few years back someone posted the info in question for the 280,
which fires a train of pulses at about 10 khz and what looked like
a duty cycle of well under 10%.

So each pulse would have a duration of 10 microseconds or less, and
you'd have a a travel distance of about an inch between pulses. There
would be some blur, but it would probably be acceptable. (If you could
put a narrow white stripe around your projectile, you could even use a
densitometer or a scanner to determine the shape of the light curve for
the individual flashes.) (Hmmm, I smell a project.)

paul
--- "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wonder if the many flashes of the F280 in the
Super FP mode have
ever been used to take multiple pix of something
real fast, like a
bullet?

Tom

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx