Re: [OM] OT aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] OT aaaaaaah, I'm soooooo weak!!!!!
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:45:25 +0100
Cc: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
That's an interesting list of advice Andy.  I agree on most things
(except the processor/OS of course ;-)), but how do you use the
flatbed scanner for the MF negs? Do you use that £50 pyramid thing
advertised in AP, or do you have some "Gilbert Gizmo" that I need to
copy?

Chris

Building or buying a computer system for photo work can be very expensive, I
would advise trying to do it bit by bit if expense is a problem (Oh, you
already have!)  Obviously a good scanner is an important base.  The computer

value. I use a Nikon Coolscan 3 for scanning slides & prints, & have a Epson
1640SU flatbed for prints & large format negs/slides. A Wacom Graphire A6
tablet is much easier to use than a mouse, & completes my system.  I see it
as a darkroom substitute, & have put a lot of thought & time into building
it, from components, but it has been worth it.  It's somewhat ironic that I
choose to use a 20 year old camera system (my OM1 I especially love) to take
the photographs to feed it!   Don't be too tempted to buy very cheap,
bundled systems, they tend to be built from cheap components, which
compromises both performance, speed & reliability.  You have started well, I
would suggest the next step is look for a system unit, i.e. the box, with
the above points in mind.  Consider secondhand, but not too old, as
technology means the lifespan of a computer may only be 4 or 5 years. E-mail
me off list if you need any more advise.

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon
England