RE: [OM] Mac vs. PC performance

Subject: RE: [OM] Mac vs. PC performance
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:13:25 -0700
Also notable is that the benchmarks that showed the macs to be significantly
faster were *specific" as opposed to general benchmarks. i.e. benchmark
Photoshop on the Mac vs. a same-speed Wintel machine, and the Mac benchmarks
faster. (BTW, I got the benchmark info from Apple's own site when this was
originally claimed in their advertising.

Benchmark for *general purpose use* and you get much, much different
results.

Just remember the old adage: MIPS does not equal "Millions of Instructions
Per Second", as it was originally intended. It's long since been corrupted
into "Marketing Interpretations Per Second". :-) So... YMMV, Not valid where
prohibited, etc. etc.

Personally, I agree with C.H. I don't know of a Mac that can approach
*overall* Wintel (or WinAMD) price/performance. That said, however, I also
know of applications (like *dedicated* graphics or compositing "engines")
where the Macs excel in terms of available applications and performance.

The biggest issue, IMHO, though, is in compatibility and support. If I want
something I can grab spares for anywhere on a moment's notice and help for
from just about anyone, I'll stick with the Wintel/WinAMD platform. Strictly
a function of market share, which doesn't address any inherent superiority
of either platform.

Like with doing anything else, you have to pick the right tool for the job.

---
Scott Gomez