Re: [OM] some sharing of photos (make this On Topic!)

Subject: Re: [OM] some sharing of photos (make this On Topic!)
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:17:46 -0400
How were you planning on pointing them? Were you going to cover a large portion of the sky or what?

Gregg

Acer wrote
> well, no more eclipses in the near future, but should one pop up, i'll know what not do do, and what to do. as far as prep goes for the leonids, it'll
> be:
> OM1n w/ 50/1.8MC
> OM1n w/ 28/3.5
> Exa w/ 50/2.8
> I'll most likely stop them down to 5.6 at least, 11 at the most, depening on some test i plan to run before the meteors hit, to see how long i can
> go w/o getting sky fog.

Roger responded

Where are you planning on being for the Leonids, Acer?  If it's really
truly dark, no need to stop down.  Under proper dark skies I've done
three hour exposures at full aperture in which the sky is not obtrusive
at all - that's on Fuji Sensia II 100 film.  A couple of examples:

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/zambia-malawi/photos/226%20-%20Star%20trails
                   0ver%20Chambe%20Peak.jpg

http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/travel/ohp/2001/photos/trails1.jpg

Also I've heard that a 50mm lens with aperture wider than f/1.8 is the
best lens for capturing meteors - best compromise between field of view
and absolute aperture (remembering that meteors are point sources).  The
28/3.5 may not do very well at getting fainter meteors.