Re: [OM][OT] Considerate vs inconsiderate

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Considerate vs inconsiderate
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 08:36:44 -0700
Scott Perkins wrote:

 Please, a little discipline and restraint guys when you fill in the subject
 line.  If it aint cameras, JUST SAY NO and don't send it. Go ahead and type
 a bunch more if it makes you feel better.  BUT DONT SEND IT.

We've hashed this to death before. My position is that cameras and
photography are about capturing images of life, not just film and
lenses. In other words, photography involves people in the emotions of
life, thus so-called OT posts are not really OT, since sharing our
feelings about tragedies such as this hopefully make us more
compassionate towards humanity. We are a group of friends that enjoy
photography with OM cameras. Just as the creation of the OM system
involved very much thought, it attracts thoughtful people. Wanting to
share with other thoughtful people is a natural thing to do.

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright

I have not said anything until now because it is to be expected that people would vent even on a topic restricted list for a few days after such an event of mammoth proportions.

Unfortunately it has reached the point where people who post off topic messages feel they own the list. Opinions have been expressed that on topic is too boring. It is a pretty pass when people who call for a return to topic have been rudely told to leave the list. The analogy of a group of friends breaks down because friends do not continue to treat their friends rudely or co-opt their property for their own uses.

I feel sorry for those who have no other social outlet to air their feelings about the recent tragedy. Or can it be that it would be too rude to do this to friends in person?

The real problem is that now there are a bunch of people who have decided that this list is their personal communication tool for whatever flits through their consciousness at the moment and are now irritated at this and similar messages. 95 percent of the irritation on this list is due to off topic opinions of which this is just one.

The unfortunate consequence of this has been to drive away many of the more thoughtful and knowledgable contributors including many of the interesting non-US posters. When you think about the marvelous FAQ that was created by them you wonder whether it could be done with the present membership. The sad thing is that I think that the consistent off topic posters feel that is OK and good riddance.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California