[OM] Macro lens question

Subject: [OM] Macro lens question
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:42:32 -0600
 I've just acquired a Vivitar 55/2.8 macro lens; it focusses down to 1:1
very nicely, not got any prints done yet so I can't comment on sharpness
(and it takes yet _another_ different filter size, rassafrassin..).

 However, when I focus it in, it also zooms -- a quick check shows that
focussed at infinity, I get an image roughly three-and-a-half times smaller
than the image focussed at 21cm (=1:1, given that the lens is pretty
extended by that point).   (tested this by pointing at the keyboard focussed
at infinity, counting the (blurred) keys, got seven; focus all the way to
close, now I can see two keys).

 Is this something I should expect? Does the Zuiko 50/3.5 do this? (a quick
check of the 50/1.4 and a generic zoom suggests that they _do_ change
magnification with focus, but nothing like as much as for the macro lens).

 thanks,

 -- dan