Re: [OM] Olympus IS-30 question

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus IS-30 question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:11:56 -0500
When it's focusing, the front element should turn in and out several times as
the camera searches for optimum focus -- if the front element stops moving, but
the AF motor still spins, I'd suspect stripped gears between the AF motor and
front group.

If the front lens turns back and forth, but the image in the finder _never_ gets
sharp, you might have damage to the floating lens groups inside -- the frame may
be broken and they may not be travelling to the proper place as the lens is
zoomed.  At wide angle they may rest near enough to their normal location to
allow the camera to set focus.

Lastly, if the AF motor doesn't turn the front group at all, the front group may
be jammed (you'll hear the motor _trying_ to turn) or the circuit connecting the
AF motor to the main circuit may be broken/cut (this may manifest itself only
when the lens is extended to tele).