[OM] A Bizarre Night of Great Dichotomy

Subject: [OM] A Bizarre Night of Great Dichotomy
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 00:25:04 +0000
This evening was a truly bizarre combination of events.

This evening, after coming home from work, I watched yesterday's cataclysmic events of lower Manhattan and Washington DC continue to unfold in the news. I am still in a state of shock over the sheer mass of death and destruction there. An hour later I was on my way to the opening of a photo show in nearby Logansport, to which I had submitted four works on Saturday. It seemed so trivial in light of what I had watched less than an hour before. I had wondered if it would be postponed.

As my wife and I toured the gallery, I was suddenly reminded of what a college roomate, and architecture major, told me 30 years ago. Frank Lloyd Wright, one of the most famous of U.S. architects, celebrated the Fine Arts, and believed them to be the pinacle of man's achievements. His magnificent design for a university had the Fine Arts College at its core hub with all colleges surrounding it. Tonight, for two hours, in the immediate wake of horrific acts of human depravity, we celebrated Fine Art Photography, a part of the pinacle in what makes mankind unique: the possession of the sentience required to not only make us highly creative, but to be self-consciously cognizant of it as well. For a number of reasons, impossible to articulate, I was glad we did.

It was truly a bizarre night of great dichotomy.

-- John