Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Terrorist attacks on the U.S.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Terrorist attacks on the U.S.
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:20:03 +0000
Garth Wood wrote:

> For those who are afraid that nukes are inevitable, nice big fuel-air
> weapons would do almost as much damage, and produce no radiation
> whatsoever.  Typical momentary overpressure from the shock wave of a FA is
> 100,000+ atmospheres, more than enough to flatten anything humans are
> capable of building that doesn't have 100 metres of quartzite rock between
> it and harm's way.

He may have bunkers in the mountains, but who knows? Military is at
threatcon delta, the highest level. Smart bombs, cruise missles, and B-1
bombers are probably already prepped for service.

> I've spent most of my adult life watching my liberal, humane ideals slowly
> get trampled into the dust by organizations and individuals I used to (at
> least cautiously) support.  Now, at 43 years of age, I realize that our
> fathers, and their fathers, were closer to the mark: sometimes you have no
> options other than the utter destruction of your enemies.

Yes, I feel the same way.

> And to my Canadian brothers and sisters who are afraid that this "might"
> draw us in -- it *will* draw us in, and it should.  We are signatories to
> Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty, which states that "An attack
> against one is an attack against all."

NATO is currently considering authorization for the use of force under
Article 5. I bet that it is approved.

> I'm sorry.  My liberal instincts want to fudge, to hedge, to find "a more
> humane way."  I'm afraid that another set of instincts have finally kicked
> in, and they're screaming an entirely different message.  My wife and many
> of my friends work in office towers.  All I could imagine yesterday was my
> wife trapped in the same situation, phoning me one last time to tell me
> that she loved me, to ask for my forgiveness for what she was about to do,
> and then to jump to her death, because the alternative way of dying was too
> much for her to bear.

Yeah, that blows me away. People jumping from the building. Men and
women jumpng hand in hand to thier death. People waiting to find loved
ones in the rubble. There was a woman with binocular's at the Pentagon
waiting since last night for her husband to come out of the building.
That's just too much for me to think about...

--
"I have a dragon and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Dirk Wright