RE: was [OM] Fort Davis pictures, now fast slide film

Subject: RE: was [OM] Fort Davis pictures, now fast slide film
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:43:51 -0700
I don't work with transparencies and never have to any great degree, but as an educated guess I'd say you'd be on safer ground using the fastest emulsion and then pushing that as little as possible. Latitude of exposure for slide film is not all that wide (call it half a stop) and pushing a film multiple stops all but guarantees no little discrepancy in that respect. I'm not a mathematician, but wouldn't these discrepancies be of geometrical proportion as they graduated (accumulated) from one to the next?

Anyway, the rule of thumb has been to use the film speed which comes closest to your need and to push as little as possible. And that's with the much more flexible negative film emulsions in mind. I can't imagine it's a good idea to push slide film when not absolutely necessary, but again, I know next to nothing about that side of it. I wouldn't do it, though.

Tris

Olafo

Are you serious about pushing provia F 400 to 3200? Has anyone tried this? I'd love to know - I often find myself in places where I need 3200 ASA even with the 50/1.2 wide open (museums, tombs the usual). I usually push the 800 ASA fuji , i find it gives better prints than the 1600 pushed.

And being a huge provia fan, I have buckets of the stuff in my gadget bag...

ANy other suggestions for 3200 slide film?

Cheers

Pete

Dr. Peter Dixon
Neurogenetics Unit, Department of Clinical Neurology
6th Floor, Institute of Neurology
Queen Square
London WC1N 3BG
Tel: 0207 837 3611 xtn 4305