[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2714

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2714
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:44:06 -0700 (PDT)
> >  Obviously you get larger negatives, so you can make bigger
> enlargements --
> >but it seems relatively unlikely I'll be doing anything
> bigger than 8x12 for
> >a long while, and I have no problems with the quality of
> those at 35mm, so
> >what would I gain from a medium format camera? Is there
> something else
> >that's improved?

Nope.  It isn't until you start doing 11x14 and larger that you
really get any real advantage with medium format.  However, if
one is really into slowing down and doing precision photography,
medium format rewards the photographer with fewer compromises in
the film.  The gradients alone make medium format desirable.

I dislike blowing up my B&W 35mm negs beyond 8x12 (8x10) because
of grain, but can take 6x7 negs out to gargantuan proportions
before the image starts to get gritty.

Of course, to each his/her own.  Earlier this year I sold off my
third medium format kit to fund an OM-4.  I'll probably get
another medium format system, but it would be a full-blown
autofocus Mamiya or Contax system.

AG-Schnozz