Re: [OM] Advice on what to carry...now getting OT "open spaces"

Subject: Re: [OM] Advice on what to carry...now getting OT "open spaces"
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 14:07:23 -0700
> New Jersey..........  I read the other day that it was no wonder the people
> in New York are depressed, the light at the end of their tunnel is "New
> Jersey." Some pretty places but just too damn many people.  /jnm

and

> Only in theory. Many many wide open spaces...

OK, let's ignore theory and put some numbers to it. I'm headed to Harney
county OR next week after visiting my daughter at school in Portland.
(and a big thank you to all who helped me with her computer, it's
running fine now and going with us) Here are some facts. Harney county:
area 10,228 sq mi, pop. 7100 and falling plus a few thousand more in the
adjoining area. New Jersey: area 7,468 sq mi, pop. 8 million or so plus
20 million in the adjoining area. Putting a world perspective on it for
you metric types Harney county is bigger than Wales or Shikoku and a bit
smaller than Netherlands. So i guess "open spaces" are relative. I'm not
knocking where people live. to each there own. I'm just pointing out a
reason why I prefer the west US. And I don't live in harney county but
in a place still much less densely populated than the east coast. And I
hope to capture some of those open spaces on film with my trusty OM.
Better get out there and decide on a kit to take. Definitely the 21/3.5
and a polarizer for those skies. But the 21 seems to have enough
contrast that i might not need it...

Mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West