Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems

Subject: Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 17:18:38 EDT
owner-olympus-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< > I have put together a Graflex XL outfit for less than $2500.  There=92s =
 nothing automatic about it.  It=92s a rangefinder type 6x9 camera, last ma=
 de in the '70s, with viewfinder frames for the lenses.  It takes interchan=
 geable backs (I use Horseman and Mamiya backs), giving a choice of 6x6, 6x=
 7 or
 6x9 formats.  I prefer 6x9 because it=92s the same 2:3 ratio as 35mm.  The=
  lenses, though older and single-coated, are excellent.  My kit includes t=
 hese: 58/5.6 Rodenstock Grandagon, 80/2.8 Zeiss Planar, 100/2.8 Zeiss Plan=
 ar, 180/4.5 Rodenstock Rotelar, 270/6.6 Rodenstock Rotelar.  It=92s a good=
  poor
 man=92s alternative if you can live without all the bells and whistles of =
 the high-priced stuff.

 > Walt Wayman >>

Another  relatively inexpensive 6x7 and/or 6x9 used option is a Mamiya Press
23 or Super press 23.  Completely manual die cast rangefinder chassis. In
lens seikosha leaf shutters. The super model allows some limited perspective
control. They made at least 65mm/90mm/100mm/220mm lenses and I think a 250mm,
if I remember right. Also had a cut film back as well as roll film backs and
extension tubes.Very popular with wedding photographers at one time. I still
have have one with 3 different lenses but it is seldom used. Used prices for
the roll film backs are high because they are used on other cameras. Very
approximate prices (I may be out of touch): Bodies  ~$200 and up including a
back. Backs alone $100+, Lenses go for anything from $100 to $250+ depending
on FL. Shutters are are not coupled to wind, so must be seperately cocked for
each shot. They usually have a large handgrip with cable release ,which you
really need, as the unit weighs about 6lbs. Ken Norton had one he used for
weddings.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes