Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Back from the wilds...
From: rdk@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:09:26 +0200

The call of the loon is also very common in a lot of American television
suspense films, usually in a totally inappropriate location!  We lived for many
years a couple of hours drive south of Algonquin, and we miss loons, and
Algonquin canoeing.....
I was a bit surprised by your equipment selection, and the pack weight. We used
to travel very light; for my last Algonquin solo trip, I had a pack weight of
about 40lb for three days, so that I could manage a 4km portage in one go (16'6"
canoe weghed 20kg), with pack and canoe carried together.

Sincerely,
Roger Key

Yes, the loon. Its an aquatic bird, about the size of a duck yet with a long
pointed beak. The call of the loon is a very familiar sound in the northern
wilderness.

B.