[OM] Re: MF

Subject: [OM] Re: MF
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:40:29 -0500
I guess I should really weigh in on the MF question. Since I am the owner of
a 500CM, four lenses, and a passel of accessories, I highly recommend
Hasselblad, but here are some other musings:

The cheapest entry into 6x6 was always the Yashicamat 124, and I'm sure it
remains so. It is a fully manual TLR, and the lens is quite good, made about
the same time as the Electro 35 P&S, which also had good glass. I can't
imagine a good example would be over $100. Of course, it has its limits.

I have flirted with the idea of buying a Mamiya 6 for several years. It is a
small, light 6x6 RF with good glass. Watch carefully, and you might have one
with the standard lens for only the price of a handful of Yashicamats.

The Mamiya TLR's are strange beasts. Great glass, interchangeable lenses,
but they must have driven the marketing division just plain nuts!

The Koni-Omega Rapids are perhaps the greatest camera bargain today. Great
glass, removable backs, negatives the size of houses. I prefer the  square
format, but there's a lot of real estate. There have been some reliability
issues, especially with the film advance, but generally related to hard
professional use.

Bronica's glass is superb, although I have seen some Velvias from a friend's
new 645RF that seem quite cool, maybe as much as 10 points. There have also
been some reliability with the Bronicas, although I understand things are
better. They do have cameras in all three formats.

I'm not really familiar with the Graflex XL, but I know it is highly
regarded is some circles.

I would approach Rollei's SLR's only with qualified advice. There was
something wrong with the SL66's, but I can't remember what, at this late
date. I also know the USA service company is somewhat controversial.

What I would really like to do is sell you my 'blad, as I have my eye on a
low mileage replacement, but it is probably well out of your budget.

Please keep me up to date on your experience.

Bill Pearce