RE: [OM] (Fwd) Need flash advice

Subject: RE: [OM] (Fwd) Need flash advice
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:26:20 -0600
> The colo(u)rs probably correspond to "normal auto" flash - controlled by
> the flash's internal sensor. "M" is manual flash - in thsi position the
> flash will always do a full dump of power. If this works anything like
> the Olympus T flashes, and it sounds like it does, then "M" and TTL are
> the same position on the switch. If the camera is in auto mode and the
> flash is on M/TTL then a camera controlled TTL auto exposure will result.
> If the camera is in manual mode then the flash will do a full dump.

 Ah, right, so the camera actually _does_ drive the flash. Neat! And, yes, M
and TTL are the same position, it's just labelled in a different place.

> >  There's also a little switch on the bottom next to the connector marked
> > "M/TTL" -- again, I'm not sure exactly what this does.
>
> Hmmmm this sounds a bit different than how the T flashes work. Perhaps
> when the switch is all the way to the left you need to use the 2nd switch
> to select manual or TTL?

 That would make sense; or possibly if I set it to M it 'disables' the TTL
part of the other switch and always does M, if I set it to TTL it'll
'translate' the M/TTL setting on the red/yellow/blue switch to be TTL
instead of M.

> The different colors should correspond to a distance range
> and f-stop on the ASA calculator panel (for normal auto operation)

 Okay, that makes sense, and that corresponds with the way the calculator
panel works.

> > Why would it ever give me 'under', though? Surely the flash
> > should stayon until it's illuminated things enough?
>
> Only if it has enough power to illuminate the subject at the selected
> f-stop. Typically the longest duration you'll get from an electronic
> flash is about 1/1000 sec.

 Sorry, of course, brain fart on my part there.

 This all makes a lot more sense now -- I guess the easiest thing to do is
just set everything to TTL and let the camera work its magic.. thanks!

 -- dan