[OM] dark skin, home processing, and dirty negs

Subject: [OM] dark skin, home processing, and dirty negs
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:15:27 -0500
"This recommendation for the +2 stop exposure for average dark skin was
given to me by a professional
portrait photographer about a decade ago."
>From a incident or reflected reading? I have had occasion to shoot
black/white combinations in my work, and just use an incident meter with
good effect, but just with black and white film.

"Heh, heh ...  Another frustrated home photographer processor, eh? "
Nope. Never, never, never done color at home. Have, however, done tons in my
work, in pro darkrooms. Everything from 35mm to 8x10 sheet film, prints from
8x10 to 30x40. Film in tanks, on one job, in a Wing-Lynch machine (don't
ever get one!!!!) on another, prints on Kreonite machines in both cases.
Fortunately, I wasn't the one that had to maintain the Kreonite machines.
After that, don't need to try color at home, Jobo or otherwise, to know I
won't like the results.

"I was quite unhappy to find 2 strips of negs from a roll that had dried
liquid markings. Now a white powder, I hope I can get the negs clean for a
good printing. The manager told me that it was a roller that wasn't cleaned.
Doesn't matter. Seems they always hit the one I love. "
This is a good example of what I've been trying to say for months. On these
machines, your negs are squeezed between two cloth covered rollers, just
like in a print processor. One little speck of dust...you're screwed. In a
dip and dunk or cine machine, nothing contacts the film but chemistry.
"He suggested running filtered water over them and using compressed air to
blow it off and let them dry."
I find this a little scary. First, try a product called PEC. (that's for
photographic emulsion cleaner) It is a solvent with a slightly disturbing
smell that works wonders withous swelling up the emulsion, and giving
another oppoprtunity for dust to bond.

Good Luck!
Bill Pearce