[OM] Returning after problems, with a question

Subject: [OM] Returning after problems, with a question
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:30:26 -0500
I've finally gotten some domain name and other problems with my computer
straightened out. I'd been set to digest mode, but basically quit reading
while there because each digest took a long time to process. (Please,
people! Trim your quotes!!)

It appears I'm returning at just the right moment, however: I'm considering
a purchase. I'd been looking at the E-10, which, at Broadway Photo's
( http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=ole10 ) price of $949, is in the
range that I'd buy. However, reading the discussions here about digital vs.
scanners, I'm beginning to wonder if a good scanner wouldn't be a better
purchase. I've seen the arguments both ways, and will think long and
hard...but one question remains: *Which* scanner? The last time I'd looked,
the Polaroid SprintScan 4000 was the choice, but that's been a while. What's
a good scanner in the $1K or so range now, and how does it stack up?

I've got a D-400Z, so I'm fairly familiar with digital camera use and such -
and it does get used as my snapshot camera. Its main drawback is the low
light performance, an area where the E-10 really shines - but then, so does
an OM-4 with 55/1.2 loaded with Portra NC400, too. Most of what I do is
people and things under existing light, so low-light performance is
imperative. The E-10 seems like a good choice based on all I've read. ISTR a
problem with CCD noise on some samples; has this been resolved?