Re: [OM] Re: color processing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: color processing
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:59:08 -0500
Heh, heh ... Another frustrated home photographer processor, eh? I know the drill! I sold my darkroom equipment a decade and a half ago and vowed NEVER to return unless I could automate everything at reasonable cost, especially the constant temperature setting. ;-)

John

From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"It is not difficult to obtain the equipment and expertise to process
your own color negatives. A Jobo processor and a film scanner would be a
great investment. "

I really must disagree with this, up to the scanner part. Home processing of
color film is a minefield. For color, the holy grail is consistency. It is
hugely difficult to achieve this in a pro lab setting, and basically
impossible using one shot chemistry. The opportunity for all or partly
ruined film is greater than that for success.

The same holds true for home color printing. an imperceptible change in
chemistry can throw color balance off 5 or 10 points.

I suggest you fine a good pro lab, using a dip and dunk machine, that uses
carefully monitored replenished chemistry. In many cities, there are rental
darkrooms that have machine processors for prints that are also well
monitored and regulated. A good scanner will also serve for this part,
especially if you shoot chromes.

Black and white? That's another subject. There, you will use changes in
times and temperatures as tools, to get the best negative possible.

You are not facing a unique situation. Good luck in its resolution.

regards,
Bill Pearce