Re: [OM] Lens Coating data

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Coating data
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 07:45:29 -0400

> Maybe we could talk Scott into updating the data from time to time?
> Or have
> an annual member survey?  The data is a good starting point

I've been keeping the list for the past few years. Every year or so I'll
ask for new data. It was just updated again in the last 6 months, but I'm
always willing to accept more. For those of you who are new, what I'm
looking for is:

Lens type, complete markings on the front ring, serial number (if not
already on the front ring - on some lenses it's around the lens mount),
list of colors seen reflected from the elements (specular reflections
from a white point source, like the sun). I'm also keeping track of
whether the lenses are silver nosed or black nosed. Be careful here, the
last time we did this I discovered my 24/2 was silver nosed when it
actually is black nosed - it was the UV filter on it that was black
nosed! As a side note, for those of you who like the silver nosed look,
maybe we need to chrome plate some filter rings and turn our black nosed
lenses into silver nosed ones!

Another piece of information that would be interesting, but that I
haven't been collecting to date, is the manufacturing date code which is
found around the inner element on some of my lenses.

Speaking of manufacturing codes, a while back I had volunteered to
collect the manufacturing codes from the pressure plates on our OMs.
Coupled with the serial numbers of the bodies we might be able to make at
least a rough correlation between serial number and manufacturing date. I
got very little data back then, but am still interested in collecting it.
Check the backs of your pressure plates for an alphanumeric code, and
send them to me along with a description of the body and the serial
number and once I get enough data I'll post that as well.

Please send all data to pschings@xxxxxxxx

Thanks,

Paul