Re: [OM] Flash/OM-4 question

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash/OM-4 question
From: pschings@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 20:04:32 -0400
Cc: ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 00:28:31 +0200 "Ralf Loi" <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Scenario: one day I was shoting with flash (T32), and after the shot
the
> camera (OM-4) was dead: no lcd in viewfinder and pressing the shutter
> button did not illuminate the lcd. After powering off the flash,
switching
> the camera to manual and then back to auto the camera was finally ok.
The
> batteries were weak, but I did not realize immediately that because
after
> this problem the camera worked ok. Off course when I checked the
batteries,
> a non continuos "beep" came from the camera, so I changed the batteries
and
> after the camera worked ok also with flash.
> What I cannot explain is: the reading without flash was around 1/15, so
> tought that for this particular shot I could have or a correct slide
(in
> the case that all was good) or at least a 2 stop under exposed slide.
But
> this slide came out full black!
> What could happened? The camera was on auto and also the flash was on
auto
> (TTL auto). Is this a normal behaviour?

We should probably wait for John H. or Clint to chime in, but my guess
would be the batteries were too weak to hold the 2nd curtain open and it
traversed with the 1st curtain resulting in no exposure. Can't say I've
ever heard of this happening in an OM before though.

> And finally another question: who power the red flash indicator in the
> viewfinder, the flash or the camera?

Flash

Hope this helps,

Paul Schings