Re: [OM] Silvernosed Via*gra

Subject: Re: [OM] Silvernosed Via*gra
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 15:07:36 -0400
Ken,
You left out the via*gra effect.  And I read the whole darned post!  (;>}
JP

at 11:57 AM 08/31/2001 -0700, you wrote:
I just received a niftly "little" package via the guys and gals
that drive those brown trucks.  My wife insisted that I make
supper BEFORE I open the box.  Didn't take me long to throw a
frozen pizza in the oven.  That left me with 16-18 minutes at
400 degrees of play time.

Digging down through the bubblewrap and styrofoam peanuts the
gleaming surface of a genuine OLYMPUS metal lens case shined
forth.  I gingerly lifted the case from the box spreading static
charged peanuts everywhere in the room.  Well, they didn't start
out going everywhere, but my little girls--well, you know the
story.

The case sat on the floor waiting for me to release the latches.
 Oh, what torture if he had locked the latches and kept the
keys!  Inhale.  Snap goes the left one, Snap goes the right.
Exhale.

Lifting the lid, I am greeted by the sight of a BIG lens.  This
thing doubles the entire volume and weight of my ENTIRE kit.
Gulp!  Must weigh a ton.  I wrap my fingers around the lens and
pick it up out of the case.  Wow! it's actually quite light.
Unscrew the lens cap, examine the glass, perspire.  Ok, grab the
OM-4 and mate it to the beast.  Hmm.  No way to handhold this
creature.  Way, too ungainly.  Besides, the focus mechanism is
via a knob instead of the usual focusing ring.  Can't figure out
why the knob is on the right-hand side, though.

I pull the lens-shade out, point the camera at the neighbor's
bird feeder and crank, crank, crank, crank the beast out to
focus.  Ok, 39 feet is the closest.  So much for MACRO with
this.  Well, I'll figure out something, but I know that an IS/L
A-Macro won't screw on the front.  Hmm, do they make a
100mm/49mm reversing ring?  I take the camera/lens to show my
wife and she gives me one of those "That's nice, dear" comments
and comments on the absurdity of such a big lens.  I'm about to
make a comparison to Grand Pianos (something she has a deep
understanding of), but the timer announcing that Pizza was ready
interrupted the process.

I set the camera/lens down on a table next to a roll of
blueprints.  Yikes!  They are almost the same size!  There isn't
anything subtle about this lens.  No sneaking around grabbing
candids.  Might get arrested!

Supper is finished and I'm asked to take the girls for a walk.
Ok, lens will have to wait.  Grab the IS/3 and take the girls
for a stroll on our new bike path behind the house.  Beautiful
sunset--I'm visuallizing taking pictures of it with the new
lens.

It is well after dark by the time I can return to the lens.  I
mount a quick release plate on the bottom and setup the 3021
Tripod.  Out on the deck I point the contraption to the sky and
focus in on the moon.  The moon's image is slightly larger than
the spot-meter circle on my 2-4 screen.  Focus in.  Uh Oh.  A
wee bit soft.  No matter what I do it is hazy.  I'm about to cry
when I look to the sky and see that a high, hazy cloud layer had
moved in and caused the fuzzyness.  Ok, let's look at Mars.
Takes me two minutes to find it in the viewfinder.  I need a
spotting scope mounted on this beast.  Turn the lens to
terrestrial subjects, but my wild, untamed and untrimmed bushes
obscure any chances at spotting anything worthwile in the dark.

Back inside and away from the bugs I examine the lens further.
To my suprise (and probably the owner who told me that it was a
black nosed beauty), it is a silvernosed lens.   There is more
chrome on this baby than a '61 Studebaker!  Absolutely georgous!
 Not just one ring of chrome, but THREE!  Yowza is it pretty.

Well, I've got a few weeks to play with this 600/6.5 Zuiko.
This is a far different lens than the Vivitar Series 1 600mm
mirror lens I used to have.  This is a REAL lens.  A man's lens,
not any whimpy 40/2 lens.

I'm going to have to get a Chrome OM-4T to go with all these
silver-nosed lenses.  Maybe I can get my OM-2S chromed and
snakeskinned!

AG-Schnozz