[OM] How right you are, Gary Reese

Subject: [OM] How right you are, Gary Reese
From: Bob K <alfabob@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:39:54 -0400
A week or so ago, I resubscribed to the Olympus Digest after a hiatus of
about a year. During this time I tried, really hard, to fall in love
with my Contax G system (two bodies and five lenses, plus a bunch of
Contax goodies), Well, it just didn't take and I've seen the error of my
ways. I'm in love with my OM system again. I feel like the wayward
husband begging forgiveness. Will you take me back despite my
transgressions?

Gary Reese said it wonderfully:
"The Contax G2 doesn't offer a mechanical rangefinder.  The "manual
focus" is really the old focus confirmation trick from the Olympus OM-F
/ Canon AL-1 QF days.  You work the wheel and the camera supposedly
tells you when focus is correct.  There is an incredible amount of slop
in the manual wheel before the focus indicator says you are out of
focus.  I would have expected a very precise point for the money they
charge."

I'm not about to start bashing the Contax G's. I've had some wonderful
results but also a lot of frustration. The Contax deficiencies that I
found so annoying just don't exist with the Olympus, while it soon
became apparent to me that the Contax strengths (and there are many)
just weren't important enough to me to overcome the weaknesses.

Anyone want to buy a mint condition G system?

Bob K
Reston, VA