Re: [OM] Winder wont give back my MD Cover!

Subject: Re: [OM] Winder wont give back my MD Cover!
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:52:19 EDT
Curtis.P.Hedman writes:

<< Bummer! Is this on of those obscure bits of Olympus knowledge that
everyone
 has to discover on their own? ...
 don't recall any such matter being discussed >>

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but when I got my OM-4Ti in 1992 and
couldn't fit the cover into the slot in the Winder 2 which I had bought on
the same date, I was non-plussed. I looked in some old brochures and thoght
"Bastards! The covers are different and they haven't re-designed the Winder 2
slot to fit the new covers.

<< When I got the Winder (some months ago) I noticed the
little black foam piece on the bottom of the MD cover slot was turning to
goo, so I did my best to clean it (removing the black sticky stuff). Even
so, the cover seemed to be a fairly tight fit into the slot. >>

It's a tight fit because it's too big to fit in there really!  ;O)

<<  Am I correct that the OM4T MD cap is the same as the battery cover, >>

Yes they are the same thing.

<< When was the switch made? OM2N? OM2S? >>

When the 2nd Generation OMs came out about 1983 onwards.
So the new caps (with MD and battery cover the same are on the OM-3/4,
OM-3Ti/4Ti, and the OM-2S/P).

On the 1st generation OMs M-1(?), OM-1/2, OM-1/2N, the battery cover is
larger than the MD cover (on the MD models, which is most of them of course,
except basically early non-MD OM1s and M1s), and both covers are different
from the later OMs.

I don't know about the 2 digit OMs (OM-10, 20, 30, 40, F, G, PC). Someone
said their Winder terminal has no cover?

I had fun when a lady from Olympus Japan sent me 2 OM-1/2 MD covers instead
of 2 OM-4Ti MD/battery covers for my OM-4Ti. One of these incorrect covers
actually did go on to my OM-4Ti (they were a bit smaller and thinner and had
a sort of bayonet fitting instead of a screw thread) but then I couldn't get
it off! I sent a help message to this OM list at that point! I did get it off
eventually; well I jiggled it and it fell off, and then she sent me 2 OM-4Ti
MD covers for free. Nice lady.  :-)

<< and are not as hard (impossible) to find as the smaller ones for the
OM1/2? >>

I don't know. A lot of used OM1/2(N) cameras have the MD cover missing, but
so do many OM-3/4(Ti) cameras.

There is still a part number available for the newer cover, and you can
supposedly still get it!

I think that a large proportion of OM-3/4(Ti owners will have lost their MD
caps because they didn't have anywhere to put them, because they couldn't get
them into the Winder 2 slot! That's how I lost mine. I fumbled it, and it
fell into a full filing cabinet drawer!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/