RE: [OM] Can I save this bellows? [also: help IDing a (non-OM) le ns?]

Subject: RE: [OM] Can I save this bellows? [also: help IDing a (non-OM) le ns?]
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:36:15 -0600
>  What I couldn't tell from the photo was that the lens was
> attached with _glue_.

 Final result, in case anyone was wondering -- the seller, rather than have
to deal with selling it again themselves, sent me the difference between the
value of a used focus rail and what I'd paid, which left me free to really
start beating on the glue/etc.

 And, as suggested by someone, heat _did_ do the trick. After an hour or so
of carefully scraping off the dried glue on the outside, I was left with a
layer of white gunge clogging up all the mounting points. After taking a
(mini) blowtorch to that, it softened nicely, and all peeled away.

 So now, finally, I have a functioning bellows. Sure, it's a bit sticky to
get lenses/the camera mounted, but I can live with that. Boy, these are
_fun_ toys! Reverse a 28mm lens, and I can get about 7:1 magnification. I
suspect the resulting pictures will be pretty ghastly, but it's sure cheaper
than buying a real bellows lens.  Thanks for the advice!

 Another result is that I now have the old lens that came with the bellows
de-mounted; it was fixed into a lens mount that was glued to the front of
the bellows. The precise details are:

 chrome colour (well, sort of metallic grey).
 There's two parts:
 The aperture closing part, 4.5-22, 15 (I think, it's fiddly to count)
blades, opens/closes nice and smootly. Glass in here is pretty messy, though
I haven't really tried cleaning it; no dust/fungus, more like finger marks.
Mount looks similar to an OM mount, except a lot smaller.

 The lens part says "Steinheil Munchen Culminar 1:4.5 f=10.5cm  VL  Nr.
676080" on the front. It's pretty dusty, but no scratches/fungus that I can
see.

 There's another bit screwed onto the front of the lens, but this isn't
coming off any time soon; it has "Kodak series VI Adapter ring No.26 Made In
USA" written on it. On the front of _this_ is another thin ring, looks sort
of like a filter adapter, but it doesn't have threads on the outside, it's
got a black ring instead. This final ring does unscrew from the adapter bit.

 As far as I can tell from a quick bit of research on the net, it's a Leica
lens; does anyone know anything more about it?

 thanks,

 -- dan