[OM] Removable shoes - the Olympus culture

Subject: [OM] Removable shoes - the Olympus culture
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:29:52 +0100
Bill (et al)

I agree that not having a shoe handy can be a pain, but that is
surely the charm of the little Olympus.  You see it would not be as
small if it had a couple of edges at the top of the pentaprism to
catch on things.  I keep my (intact) shoes in a film canister,
together with a TTL autoconnector.  The T20 connector sits in a cigar
box of the right size with an M grip cord (? the one that goes
between the BG2 and the winder).  Most of the time I have only an
Eyecup 1 with corrective lens attached to the camera.  This makes for
a beautifully streamlined little body to which I add devices as I
need them.

... ramble starts ...

I recall a time (in 1998 I think) when some people were disdaining
the silvernose lenses;  I expressed the opinion then that I thought
that the era of silvernosed lenses was part of the history of the
OM1(N)/2(N) bodies.  That was a time (early 70s?) when there were
very few zooms, and not many primes.  It was a time (in my romantic
notion ;-)) when the quality of the photos depended mainly on the
talent of the photographer whose choice of lenses was probably
limited... and when I started in earnes with the OM1 md in the late
70s, I had only 3 lenses and took some lovely shots.

You see, I think that the "drawbacks" of the OM system are part of
what makes it an excellent choice, because it forces you (me) to
think carefully about what I need.  If I cannot afford to take all 3
bodies (1N, 2SP and 4) on a trip, I will have to choose the sort of
photos I am going to take and make the ensemble work - film, lenses
and body - for me.  In October I shall fly somewhere for a week with
my wife with a limited choice (promises, promises!) and see if I can
retrieve the simple compositions I managed 20 years ago, when the
kids were small and they did not walk very fast while I was stopping
to take a photo.

... ramble ends ...

I like my OM1N, and I wish that I still had my OM2N - oh dear, here I
go again ;-).

Chris