[OM] Removing the front group on a 50/1.8

Subject: [OM] Removing the front group on a 50/1.8
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 07:48:55 -0400
Yesterday I tried disassembling a 50/1.8 to clean out a fungus spot
which turns out to be somewhere inside the front group.  I have a fairly
hefty spanner wrench but, try as I might, I could not get the front
group to budge.  Thinking it was probably originally assembled with some
"Locktite" I tried dripping acetone all around the threads several
times.  I even created an acetone "puddle" to allow it time to soak in.
Still no go.  In stark contrast, the rear group unscrewed with only
light finger pressure.  The rear group is squeaky clean so I know that
the fungus is in front.

I do not have any sort of lens vise so the amount of torque I could
apply was limited to what I could do with the wrench in one hand and the
lens in the other.  Is there some magic trick to getting this front
group out or are there some lenses which just prove to be unservicable?

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA