REPOST: Re: [OM] MD battery pack replacement NiCd's

Subject: REPOST: Re: [OM] MD battery pack replacement NiCd's
From: "johnsonpa" <johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:25:32 -0500
Cc: <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Well, Tom mentioned it...but it seems no one was listening!
Yeah, I know I've been posting a ton of messages lately, but many of you
will be very interested in what I have to say.  It seems as though the
Control Pack NiCd battery replacement just got a lot easier.  After tracing
the links to different online battery sources, comparing prices, contacting
vendors and piecing things together, I have figured out a new and easy way
to get those elusive NiCd packs.
For those of you who have not been following this ongoing thread, there are
several options available to replace dead NiCds in Control Packs.  The FAQ
suggests using Varta NiMH cells and creating a new pack.  This technique has
been under criticism b/c NiMH batteries do not recycle as fast, which leads
to rapidly decreasing FPS (frames per second) speeds and (I think) shorter
charge life under heavy use.  The advantage of NiMH cells is that they don't
develop a memory like NiCd batteries.  The packs are also a bear to make b/c
finding the correct cells and getting them in the pack isn't particularly
easy.
So....people began to use 1/3AA NiCd cells in the packs.  This usually
required soldering 12 cells together in a shape similar to the original
pack, taping it all up and finding a way to cram it back in the pack without
pulling the leads off the circuit board.  This method is probably more
painful than the NiMH method...just ask T. Scales about it :-)...but it does
get easier after a few packs.  Scott Gomez put together a nice site about
replacing the packs with this method:
http://petroglyph.crestline.ca.us/Olympus/controlpack1.htm
This is where I first discovered that the correct battery for the Control
Packs are really 1/3A and not 1/3AA cells.  Restarting my searches, I found
two businesses that have the 1/3A cells.  One of them doesn't carry them
anymore b/c they are discontinued.  I assumed this meant the Sanyo version,
which seems to be the go-to brand, and she recommended the 1/3AA cells as an
alternative.  I was able to find another place that lists 1/3A cells that
are non-Sanyo cells and had them in stock. After several phone calls, I sent
them an old NiCd pack and they created an exact duplicate with brand new
1/3A cells.  Their turn-around was quick and the pack fit like a charm.
So here are the specifics:
Price/cell = $2.00 X 12 cells (as compared to $1.50 for 1/3AA)
Assembly fee = $10.00 (You better have them assemble it unless you are
particularly skilled in this technique.  It is a _very_ snug fit.)
Shipping = $5.95 (I don't know how many packs for this amount.)
Total price = $39.95

That seems pretty high, especially when you can get 12 1/3AA cells for only
$18.00 plus shipping, but buying already built packs will save you hours of
work.  I have replaced 4 NiCd packs in the past, so I know my way around
them, but I had this pack installed in about five minutes.  It may take
first-timers an hour or so, but it is a heck of a lot easier.

So here is the link:
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi-7.htm
Ask for Greg and tell him you want the battery pack for the camera winder.
He should know what you are talking about.
Lastly, I have no connection with this company...I'm just relieved I don't
have to build another one of those blasted battery packs again!
I discussed with him the possibility of getting a group discount.  He
mentioned that 15 or so might qualify for a discount, but I'm not sure if
that means seperate destinations or a single destination.  He also would not
comment on the magnitude of the discount  Maybe someone on the list could
serve as a contact where everybody would let them know how many they want
and could then ask Greg how much it would cost to have X-number of batteries
made and shipped to different places.  I would volunteer, but I'm leaving
town in only a week...which reminds me, I need to get packing!

--p.j.

I should also say that I am the second (that I know of) to receive their
pack, so I'm can't speak for their tolerances.  Someone somewhat leary might
wait until some other list member post their experience.  In other words,
don't try to hold me respsonsible if it doesn't work for you :-)