[OM] Re: framing Tamron SP 90mm Macro, 1:1 extender, 55mm filter.

Subject: [OM] Re: framing Tamron SP 90mm Macro, 1:1 extender, 55mm filter.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:20:17 EDT
andrew fildes wrote:
<< Just been offered a Tamron SP 90mm Macro with 1:1 extender. It's the 55mm
 filter ring version. >>

That will be the same as mine I am fairly sure. If they come together in a
large box with a picture of a poppy field on one side and possibly a little
tiny water sprayer (for that water-sprayed maco flower shots look! - for the
flowers, not the lens! ;-)), then you one just like I bought in 1992 or so
when they were being offered as a set.

If not, then the original buyer might have got the lens and extender as
separate items.

I like my 90/2.5 with 55mm filter thread. I haven't used the extension tube
yet, but so what? The 1:2 reproduction on the lens itself is good enough for
me a lot of the time.

Viewed from the top of the lens: TAMRON SP 90mm 1:2.5 o55
MACRO/ft/m focussing scales in a plastic 'window' on top of the lens.
Closest distance1:2 / 1.3ft / 0.39m
MACRO scale marked from 1:2 to 1:10 ratios.
Main lens barrel feels like metal, focussing ring feels like plastic

I find the lens easy and natural to handle on my OM-4Ti especially. Not like
a Zuiko - but it's kind of chunky and fits well in the left hand when I am
shooting. I therefore use it quite a lot, and enjoy using it.

Larry's answer gives the consensus on the performance from the different
versions. The 90/2.8 with 1:1 life-sixe reproduction came out shortly after I
bought my earlier version I think. I was slightly annoyed, but I had got a
special offer anyway (a "free 1:1 extension tube") and people here seem to
think that the 90/2.5 1:2 lens is better anyway.

The 49mm filter version we seem to think may have been the original earliest
version of the 90 macro, maybe a 90/2.5. I have never seen one to my
knowledge.

Anyway, one other advantage of these lenses is they will also take a T-10
ring flash on the filter thread (49 or 55) quite easily.

I like my Tamron 90 (did I already say that? ;-)). I also now have the Zuiko
85/2, very different, so small, like a standard lens, faster, no close
focusing, gorgeous to look at and handle. So I feel spoiled at the moment!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/