RE: [OM] Too good to photograph (was " Oben (OT / Flame," etc.)

Subject: RE: [OM] Too good to photograph (was " Oben (OT / Flame," etc.)
From: "Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:01:22 -0500

>>I was at Cabramurra over the last two days. There were some
>scenes so nice
>>couldn't take photos of them. Does anyone else do this too?
>>
>>Foxy
>
>I am sometimes overwhelmed when the light is beautiful and can't find a
>beginning of a composition. Composing and seeing are sometimes
>incompatible.
>It might be fear of failure too.  "I can't do this justice," I sometimes
>think.
>
>Joel W.

And here I thought I was the only one suffering from this. <g>

Something I read once (might be old stuff to you guys) that has helped me
immensely and made a big impact on my photography.  Grossly paraphrasing it,
it was along the lines of "Determine what it is about the scene that makes
it as magical as it is.  Isolate the factor or factors that make you want to
shoot it, then concentrate your efforts on capturing that magic.  Everything
else will take care of itself."

That one paradigm has considerably reduced the "What the hell was I thinking
when I wasted a frame on that?" questions when I get my prints back.

Dave