[OM] List moderator/ Giles's role

Subject: [OM] List moderator/ Giles's role
From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:49:33 -0500
I sent earlier but forgot to change the subject line.

Chris and others,
First, concerning Giles' role on the list. Shawn Wright the 'owner' of
the server and the original List supervisor reached a point in his life
where he could no longer manage career, family and the List. So, he
asked Giles to take over the List maintenance and other chores. Neither
he or Shawn has ever been the List moderator.
It was decided a long time ago that there should not be a list
moderator. At the time we felt that being mostly intelligent, well
mannered adults we did not need one. Personally I still do not feel we
need one and I hope we do not decide to have one in the future.
-Charles Packard

Chris O'Neill wrote:

> Someone said they might complain to the moderator.  To me, this begs
> the question, "Where the hell IS the moderator?!?!?"  As someone
> who's moderated several mailing lists,  I applaud Giles for the work he's
> done in making the OM list available to myself and others.  But, as
> much as it pains me to say it, I sure wish he'd do a better job of
> moderating by stepping in when someone gets completely out of line,
<snip>