Re: [OM] Zuikoholicism in remission (Fanged again?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikoholicism in remission (Fanged again?)
From: "Mark Hammons" <astaire@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 20:56:10 -0500

> Dave Dougherty wrote:
>
> << I just scored (Fanged?) a 135 Zuiko lens w/case and filters from our
> favorite
>  auction site for $36.00. >>
>
> Did this lady Doris Fang have a general talent for getting great buys of
> Olympus gear, or did she pull off one spectacular historic definitive heist
> that we relative newbies should know about?

I think she just went to TONS of flea markets and Garage sales and inevitably
would find superb deals.

Which reminds me of an interesting story of probably what was the ulimate "Fang"
I've ever heard about.

Some years ago when Ebay was young and I was a new member, I noticed a listing
one day for a Leica M3 with No reserve and a opening bid for something like $20.

Needless to say tons of bids started pouring in and the price started
skyrocketing.

I contacted the seller and asked her what the deal was.  She knew nothing of
cameras
and had ( and still has, BTW) and Ebay presence where she sells mostly what
look like
arts and craft and antiquing type stuff.  She had been at some Church-run
thrift store and
came across a box of 4 cameras for $20.  Not knowing what they were she bought
them
to put on Ebay and see if she could turn a small profit.  Turns out one was the
M3 that
had a jammed wind-on from what was most likely a piece of broken film jammed in
the mechanism.

I corresponded with her as the auction ran its course, giving her a likely
value for the
camera and Summicron 50mm lens and top-mounted light meter.  The system finally
sold for something like $1400 and needless to say she was stunned as well as
very
pleased.  She did the ultimate Fang without even trying.  I think she also made
'tithe" type contribution to the Church that ran the thrift store she found the
camera in.

Mark Hammons

P.S. -- The seller has the Ebay name of "Greyparrot"