Re: [OM] battery question, calling the experts!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] battery question, calling the experts!!!
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 03:29:01 EDT
Cc: johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
johnsonpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< The dimensions match my rough measurements I made of an old pack and was
 getting ready to order some ($2.00 each + $0.20/tab --Yikes!), but I noticed
 the capacity is 250mAh whereas the capacity of the similar 1/3AA generally
 does not go higher than 110mAh.  This sounds like a good thing to me, but
 can someone confirm that it is better to get these instead of the 1/3AA
 batts? T. Hughes?

If they fit there should not be a downside to using the higher capacity cell.
In general you would expect better performance because not only is the
capacity higher but the internal resistance should be lower. (Lower voltage
drop under load) Checking the referenced website it is interesting that they
do not specify the manufacturer of only that particular size cell. May be
generic brand?

One general comment for people doing these upgrades, is that people have
recommended adding extra cells because of cell voltage drop under load. The
exsisting design already does this so if you overdo it you may damage the MD.
It is worth noting that the line operated intervalometer only runs the MD at
15V. I posted some stuff from the service manual a very long time back as to
some implied voltage limits and voltages specified to meet 5FPS specification.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes