Re: [OM] #2488 An OMystery. Prizes available!

Subject: Re: [OM] #2488 An OMystery. Prizes available!
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:00:29 EDT
Walt Wayman's OMystery.  Prizes available!

Did you find an answer to this?
Did anyone win the furballs?

<< The composition of all four frames was the same, with the white kittens
occupying only about 20 percent of the picture area, and not in the center.
 The foliage and the deck both are darker than 18 percent gray.
... same composition, same elements, no change in lighting. >>

<< On the occasion in question, I was using an OM-4, MD2, 100/2 Zuiko,
no filter, Fujicolor 400, hand-held, shooting two Ragdoll kittens (Barnum
and Bailey, white/gray) playing among large tropical foliage plants in pots
sitting on our deck, in shade.  Exposure was something like 1/125 @ f/4.
In a series of four frames about mid-roll, taken just one or two seconds
apart, the first is two to three stops underexposed; the second is
perfectly exposed, and the third and fourth are identical to the first.
No  camera or lens setting, not even focus, was changed during this
 sequence. >>

My OM-4Ti might have done something similar recently, a few days ago.

Had you switched from Auto to Manual mode and then done these photos in
Manual, by any chance?

I had taken a frame in Auto at a longish exposure, and then switched to
Manual, and fired the shutter.

I noticed that the first frame in Manual shot at around 1/4 to 1/8 second (I
heard tha gap between the shutter curtains moving click ... click), even
though the camera was set to 1/60 or faster. The next exposure and several
more (no film in) all sounded like they were correct, ie at a fast shutter
speed anyway.

It seemed like something was carried over from Auto into Manual (I'm sure
Memo wasn't on, and anyway Auto to Manual switches it off - without a beep
incidentally, (tut, tut, there should be a beep really to tell us, Mr. M.)

Maybe the last Auto shutter speed gets carried over into Manual mode for some
reason - like a bug in the system, possibly?

I can't test it again now, because I have a film in!

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/