Re: [OM] Campfire list (ot)

Subject: Re: [OM] Campfire list (ot)
From: "Tom A. Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:01:20 -0400
Dear Gregg

One thing you could consider is having your computer access the
messages every hour or so?

Digests: Would be nice if:
        Most recent at top!
        Threaded
        Text only (no html or attachments)
Sigh...

Tom

On Monday, July 30, 2001 at 2:51, Gregg Iverson <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote on "Re: [OM] Campfire list (ot)," saying..

> I was recently switched over to the list as my ISP started to block
> messages because of the sheer number received each day.  In digest form I
> was receiving three to four each day vs as many as 250 if spam to the list
> is included.
>
> There were several problems with the digest version.
>
> 1  I couldn't keep only the info I was interested in, but had to save the
> whole digest or cut and past into a different file
> 2  Messages are often sent in two formats, include html, have complete
> threads of messages included in the return message, so much scrolling is
> needed to get to new messages
> 3  by the time messages arrive, any time-sensitive messages are too late to
> react to.
> 4  filters cannot be used to sort or delete specific messages, and it is
> impossible to sort by thread, time, or author
>
> So.... I'm back on the regular list.  BTW, Eudora says I spend about one
> hour a day on this list.  Ever figure out what one hour a day means in
> terms of part of a year taken from the total year?  That's about 24 15 hr
> days each year!  So to me, this list and each contributing member is
> important (maybe impotent too :-0 )
>
> Gregg
>

> >I've never really understood why anyone would choose to receive messages
> >from an active list in digest form.  I tried the digest format on a
> >small list that generates only 10 messages or so a day and even that
> >drove me nuts.  I like the option to delete or reply to individual
> >messages at will rather than separating them out of a big document.  I
> >have separate folders in my Inbox for each list that I participate in
> >and use email filters to direct each incoming mail into the appropriate
> >folder.  Makes it very easy to skim through all the messages and delete
> >any topics not of interest for any given list.
> >
> >While the OM list is one big happy family, :-), a couple of other lists
> >I am on each have one or two individuals who are both prolific posters
> >and contentious time wasters.  Their emails are filtered directly to
> >trash, something that would not be possible if I were receiving the
> >digest format.
> >
> >Mike Gardner

------- http://members.home.net/tomatrottier
TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx           ICQ:57647974
+1 613 291-1168          fax:+1 613 594-5412
415-400 Slater St. Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7S7
   ,__ô   Much Madness is divinest Sense
 _-\_<,   To a discerning Eye
(*)/'(*)  Much Sense--the starkest Madness.
          --Emily Dickinson, poet (1830-1886)