Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 in Retrospect
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:36:00 EDT
litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Now that the OM 2000 is soon to be gone, what can be said about it? Is it
>  really such a bad camera to deserve the low status in the opinions of many?
>  I am actually tempted to buy one for its higher shutter speed, mirror lock
>  up, spot metering? Sounds like a better choice than an OM 2S?

Magandang umaga, Titoy!  Kumusta ka?

I'm fuzzy about the facts, but seem to remember that somebody (Tom Scales?)
told me that while the OM-2000 can use the OM line of lenses, it can't use
the full range of Oly accessories.  The OM-2S does, of course.

Don't let the reputation of the OM-2S as a battery-eater or as having
troublesome electronics deter you.  If it (a used OM-2S) works when you "test
drive" it, it most likely has a long life ahead of it, given reasonable care
and a CLA from time to time.  I take the batteries out of my OM-2S when I'm
not using it.  If I used it every other day or so, I probably wouldn't.
Still, the 357/SR44s are pretty reasonably priced.  If I had to replace them
every 6 months, I wouldn't bat an eye.  It's a wonderful camera, all black,
very "pretty".

I've been tempted to pick up an OM-2000 as well (I like the look and feel of
it), but think my money would be better spent on other lenses, accessories, a
tripod, the list goes on and on.

The OM-2000 has little over the OM-2S, which is a "sleeper" (a lot of camera
for the money).  An OM-2S in good condition can be had for very little more
than an OM-2000.

Would you really use the higher shutter speed that much?  And for mirror
lockup, think about an OM-1n.  I wouldn't give mine up for an OM-2000.  If I
had an OM-1n and thought I really needed spot metering, I'd invest in a light
meter.  There's a SWEET, CLASSIC, camera.

Mabuhay!

Rich