[OM] Re: Teleconverter comments

Subject: [OM] Re: Teleconverter comments
From: "Bachofen" <mbachofen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 10:00:23 -0500
Why do so many people discuss teleconverters using the term "light loss"?
I've been discussing this with my buddy, and we think it's misleading to people
who don't understand f-stop.  The f-stop of a given lens _doubles_ when a 2X tc
is added.  Light isn't lost, the focal length of the lens is doubled so the
f-stop is too.  It's misleading to say "lose two stops" because it's as if it
magically happens because of the glass in between the light went somewhere.  Of
course f-stop doubles, the focal length doubles.  I just think it is strange to
say "When you add that 2X teleconverter, you'll lose two stops", when one could
easily say "When you add that 2X teleconverter, remember to double the f-stop
too."
matt