Re: [OM] [OT] Two questions about the English language

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Two questions about the English language
From: "Parzival Herzog" <parz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:25:59 -0500
Cc: <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Not too [OT], IMHO. We ought to know whereof we speak.

Warning: entering pedant mode:

I've always thought that the use of  "diaphragm" to refer the variable  camera
aperture device was quite wrong, as all other diaphragms I know of have no
orifice, or else they are seriously defective. I believe the proper term would
be "iris", as in your eye.

The Greek root is diaphragm:  dia - I fence in;  phraso - I enclose.

>From Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopaedia,

Diaphragm:

  1.. The thin layers of muscle which suspend the insect heart within the body.
  2.. The muscular partition between the thoracic and abdominal cavities of
mammals.
  3.. Metal plastic, and rubber diaphragms find numerous industrial
applications in various packings , in pressure gauges, as seals, and in
diaphragm actuators and diaphragm motor valves.
  4.. A form of diaphragm is used as a contraceptive device.
- Parzival