Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet. Photographing a cornfileld.

Subject: Re: [OM] Exciting Times on the Internet. Photographing a cornfileld.
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:50:53 EDT
I wrote:
<< >John/Gregg,
 >Does that mean that you can go there and suffer from "Corn Deafness"? >>

I was really referring to "Snow Blindness" when I said that, because John
said about being totally immersed in the experiece of being surrounded on all
sides by miles and miles of corn fields. It must be a strange experience, one
I have never had.

I wondered if there was a similarity with snow blindness, which is really
sensory deprivation, like a Ganzfeld, where the absence of changes in colour
and form lead to some loss of conscious experience. Maybe it is different
with the cornfilelds, since you can see colours and movement, and your ears
become more sensitive to the subtle details of auditory stimulation.

<< I live inside city limits.  In spite of its small size, it has some
 background noise attributable to any city >>

I live in a medium sized / quite large UK town (70000 people) and irt is
getting noisier all the time, with major roads running huge amounts of
traffic around the bypass. Because England is so small with 58 million
people, the density of population makes it difficult to get away from
mechanised noise, especially road traffic. Scotland and North Wales are a
different matter. Standing at my front door, I was recently shocked my the
level of noise I could hear from traffic etc., far greater than I remember
from my childhood in the 1970s.

My Dad though spent months at a time in the desert in Iraq during World War
Two, on an Army Unit. One of his main recollections is of the brightness of
the stars and the Milky Way, and the clear skies, and the total lack of
"light pollution," akin to "noise pollution" perhaps.

<< how
to visually convey this to others with a photograph if they have never
experienced it?  A photograph relies on viewer life experiences to evoke
response from the other senses and help convey the message fully. >>

That is quite a challenge. Would it involve trying to give a sense of
sameness of form at all distances? Or differences in detail? I don't know if
you would need an ultra-wide angle to convey the sweep of perspective,
foreground detail fading into homogeneous background, or a telephoto to
squash perspective and render thousands of similar-sized repeating forms in
the corn. Possibly neither! How about a panoramic camera or 360 degree
montage? Capturing waves of movement in the fields could be another
possibility, or getting right down to the level of the plants nearer the
ground might make interesting pictures, but not panoramic ones!

Conveying the cornfield experience to a real city dweller as you say is a
real challenge! Using a computer, well, maybe forget it - they have their own
incessant drone with the fan as a noise pollution source (iMacs etc.
excepted)!

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.
http://members.aol.com/synthchap/