Re: [OM] Golden OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Golden OM-1
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>, Jaap Korten <j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Frank van Lindert wrote:

> The camera has chrome trimmings rings below rewind crank and ASA knob.
> This is strange, since even the thin axis of the camera back has been
> gold plated!
> But then the collection picture of Jaap Korten
> http://www.wide-angle.nl/cgi-bin/collection.cgi?session_id=310701-094149&ref=62.251.1
> with the 1.4 lens, shows these silver rings as well... maybe it is
> made of material which cannot be gold plated at all?

This is rather interesting.  Comparing the photo that Foto Hoogeveen had
in their auction to the photo in the auction Frank won and Jaap's photos,
I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of golden OM-1n's.
The one Foto Hoogeveen sold is based on a black OM-1n whereas the others
are based on silver OM-1n's.  The chrome rings on the top cover are the
most promiment difference, black bodies do not have any chrome on the
top cover.  There is also a difference in the self timer lever between the
two.  The one sold by Foto Hoogeveen is completely black, whereas Jaap's and
Frank's have a gold bar down the centre.  Only chrome OM-1n's have a silver
bar down the centre of the lever, black bodies use an all black lever.  I
wonder how many of the 25 bodies were produced from a black vs chrome body.

What would be even more interesting is knowing how they gold plated the
top cover without plating the black/chrome rings.  Those rings are stamped
in at the factory and would be very difficult to remove and insert.
                                -mark