RE: [OM] 85/2 from the Cretaceous period. Faulty?

Subject: RE: [OM] 85/2 from the Cretaceous period. Faulty?
From: DBellamy2k@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 19:09:30 EDT
Dear Chip,

<< My 85/2 must have traveled with yours. >>

Ah, but I bet that yours doesn't focus beyond infinity! there is actually a
certain charm to these well-worn cameras and lenses. I remember in 1981
seeing a guy with an old OM-2(N) which was just a mass of brassing at every
edge - it looked really cool. "He must be a real pro," I thought, but then
again, would a real pro leave his camera in a rotating concrete mixer for 4
hours?

<< but the glass was a limpid
crystalline pool of green reflections and no blemishes >>

Mine has lots of straw reflections, one reddish and one green/turquoise. The
guy at the shop said that it had been full of dust inside; some from the
paint on the aperture ring blades he said. Actually the aperture blades still
look and work pretty good as far as I can see.

Unfortunately, the focus beyond infinity and a bit of play in the focusing
ring and between the front and back of the lens tells me that maybe I had
better send it back - it is on 7 days approval. There are traces of glue here
and there on the aperture ring - I think that there may be a tiny spot on the
front element, but very small and at the edge of an otherwise crystal clear
glass set.

I suspect thast their lens cleaning guy has possibly done a marvellous job on
a filthy knackered old lens.

Even when I stare into that clear glass, or look through the bright clear
viewfinder image, I somehow don't feel I have a bargain. Not sure ... I don't
really feel confident with it, but I would love a better example; it even
fits in my OM-4Ti's 14H case!

Kind regards,

Dave Bellamy.